What’s up geeks, nerds, and WooWoo peoples! I’m very excited and nervous, and excited, and nervous to be sharing snippets of Synarchy Book 3 with you all while I write. I want to do this for a few reasons, one I think it will help motivate me to get back into writing regularly and I like the idea of writers sharing their processes. We’re always told as writers don’t you dare let anybody see your rough draft because its crap. And their not wrong, it’s called a rough draft for a reason, but why not share it anyway. Why not show the journey?
Before I do that, I want to outline the goals/challenges I want to accomplish with Synarchy Book 3. These are on top of the basics which is to tell a fun, page turning, emotionally gripping, amazing story.
- Make visionary fiction.
- Make a utopia, show people what it looks like in a way that’s no boring. Make it real, feasible, an ah-ha moment, a real possibility that percolates and lingers in the mind of the readers long after they put the book down.
- Balance consequence with hope.
- When I watched Avengers Age of Ultron, which I loved. one line in the movie really stood out for me and kind of annoyed me. It went along the lines of human folly, stupidity being a beautiful thing. Well, it’s not. So inside this book I want to show the consequence of that stupidity but at the same time, there needs to be hope, light after dark. Lesson learned. Here’s what we built when we stopped being stupid. Aka first bullet point.
- Be cool like Star Wars
- I’ve always been a Star Wars Fan, though for whatever reason not with the same fanaticism I find myself loving Star Wars now. Maybe it’s because I’m older and the writer in me can appreciate the brilliance of the story a little more. When I hear the music associated with Star Wars, when I watched the trailer for The Force Awakens, a child like glee came over me. The hairs on my arms stood on end. I was moved, I was excited, I was cheering, damn near crying. I want to create something that affects people like that. More than that what Star Wars inspired creatively is just brilliant. The Expanded Universe of Star Wars is such a brilliant collaboration of imagination. I want this book and future books to inspire that. For someone(s) to love the world I’ve created so much they want to play in it too.
- Make a weapon cooler than a lightsaber
- This is impossible. I feel like this utterly impossible. However, I like setting big goals, as you can see above. So, I’m going to try.
That, in a nutshell is what’s going down in this book. Keeping in mind that a lot of things I share here will likely change, and mold, and all the things that happen when you’re vomiting out the first rough draft of a story, I would still love feedback during the process. Things you like, things you don’t like, all that.
Ready? Let’s begin.